Daybreak Games and the Comic-Con Museum will host “EverQuest 20: A Living Legend,” a special event on Saturday, April 27 through Sunday, April 28 celebrating the groundbreaking franchise that popularized and changed the MMORPG (massive multiplayer online role-playing game) genre 20 years ago. In addition to showcasing an incredible collection of original art, the exhibit will be accompanied by special programs and panels highlighting key moments throughout the game’s storied history.
The event will be hosted at The Comic-Con Museum’s future home in Balboa Park (2131 Pan America Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101). The original art, concept work, and other key items will be arranged into a community-focused EverQuest timeline, spanning two decades of active development and gameplay. The Museum gallery will feature original oil paintings by renowned fantasy artist and illustrator Keith Parkinson, the first game design document by Brad McQuaid, and original box art. Attending fans will also be invited on an EverQuest adventure inside the museum where they will solve challenges to receive exclusive rewards.
“EverQuest changed the face of MMORPGs and continues to evolve as we remain committed to delivering fantasy content to our loyal fans,” said Holly Longdale, Executive Producer of EverQuest. “We can’t wait to transport them on an art journey through the game and share their memories with other players who have also loved EverQuest for the past 20 years.”
Activities for the weekend will include:
- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. PT: EverQuest 20: A Living Legend
Exhibit Hall Open.
- 11 a.m. PT – Exploring the World of Norrath
Join game developers as they introduce EverQuest and explore 20 years of evolution and expansion in the world of Norrath.
- 1 p.m. PT – Living the Legacy
Senior members of the EverQuest development team will describe what it is like to work on the game they once played, exploring how their ongoing efforts ensure the game and its community continue to thrive.
- 2 p.m. PT – Developer Signing
Members of the EverQuest team will be signing and distributing exclusive EverQuest 20 posters featuring the game’s original key art from 1999.
- 2:30 p.m. PT – Fan-Made Experiences, Community Forum
Join active members of the EverQuest Community as they explore and discuss the experiences that have defined 20 years of gameplay. The audience will have an opportunity to share their stories as well!
“We are looking forward to welcoming the EverQuest community to the future home of the Comic-Con Museum and celebrating this incredible milestone in gaming history,” said Adam Smith, Executive Director of the Comic-Con Museum. “We can’t wait to commemorate this special moment with the developers and fans who have kept the world of Norrath alive and thriving for 20 years.”
Few titles have existed as long as EverQuest and the franchise continues to influence games today. Since its launch on March 16, 1999, the high-fantasy free-to-play game continues to grow, with 25 expansions to-date, over 1,600 unique playable areas, 700+ raid events, 50,000 design scripts and more than 3 million lines of code. The game has built and sustains a thriving community, enriching players lives and forging friendships and relationships that have transferred into real life, even leading to marriages.
More Than 40 NES Games Now Available to Play on Nintendo Switch Online
On May 15, classic NES games Donkey Kong Jr., Clu Clu Land and VS. Excitebike are coming to the NES Nintendo Switch Online collection, bringing its total number of games to more than 40.
- Donkey Kong Jr. – Based on the popular arcade game, Donkey Kong Jr. is the sequel to the immensely successful Donkey Konggame. Play as Donkey Kong’s son, and rescue your dad who has been kidnapped and imprisoned in a cage by Mario. Use jumping and climbing abilities to clamber up vines and chains, gather vital fruit and keys, and open the cage to free your father. Make sure you avoid the pesky birds, nasty electric sparks and creepy chompers. Four different worlds filled with numerous climbing and jumping puzzles await you in this timeless classic.
- VS. Excitebike – Fans love the Excitebike game for its frenetic races, high stakes and sweet jumps. With this game, you can take it to the next level with the Famicom disk version of VS. Excitebike – complete with two-player split screen. Create tracks from 20 classic Excitebike track parts, and go for a best time or take on friends. Racing is even more exciting when the rivalries are real. You can also try out the single-player mode in VS. Excitebike. It adds tracks, music and the ability to save your high score.
- Clu Clu Land – The greedy Sea Urchins have stolen all of Clu Clu Land’s gold bars and buried them in a series of mazes. As Bubbles, a brave bubble fish, you’ll set out to uncover all of the gold bars in each maze. With 20 stages to complete and increasingly complex conditions (like having to pass over the gold bars twice to uncover them), you might just want to bring along a friend for help.
These three games join classics like Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda and many others, all of which have been enhanced with online features.
EA Access Now Avaliable on PS4
Electronic Arts announced that it is bringing EA Access to the PlayStation4 system. Starting this July, players can sign-up for a monthly subscription, or an annual subscription through PlayStation Store. With the addition of the PlayStation 4 console to the already existing membership services on Xbox One and PC via Origin, EA now offers its subscription services on more platforms than any other publisher.
“As we continue to invest in digital and subscription services, bringing great games to even more players across more platforms is an exciting opportunity for everyone,” said Matt Bilbey, Executive VP of Strategic Growth. “Our goal is to give players more choice to try and play our games wherever and however they choose, and we’re happy to bring EA Access to PlayStation 4.”
Membership in EA Access lets players experience Play First Trials, where they can play up to 10 hours of most new EA games. Subscribers also enjoy a 10% discount on full game purchases, expansions, in-game items and more. Additionally, players can jump into a growing library of EA games, including the best of EA with franchises like Battlefield, EA SPORTS FIFA, Star Wars Battlefront and more.